Heavy Murph 2024 Open
The Heavy Murph workout is conducted on a 25-minute time clock, during which competitors must perform as many reps as possible of:
- 10 strict pull-ups
- 20 strict seated dumbbell shoulder presses (50 lbs for men; 20 lbs for women)
- 30 Bulgarian split squats
- 40 sit-ups
Registration for the Heavy Murph Workout 2024 Open is $5 per competitor in the Living Donor and Transplant Recipient categories and $50 per competitor in the General category. The registration deadline is April 1, 2024, and the competition will take place April 2 through April 8, 2024.
To be considered for the podium and cash prizes, all competitors in the Heavy Murph 2024 Open must adhere to the following rules.
There will be a 25-minute time clock, during which competitors must perform as many reps as possible of:
- 10 pull-ups: Strict pull-ups only, no kipping or butterfly pull-ups. Palms must face outward, chin must clear the bar at the top of each pull-up, and arms must be fully extended at the bottom of each pull-up. Banded pull-ups are acceptable with a weight assistance of no more than 70 pounds, but your finish time will be placed after other competitors who performed the move unassisted.
- 20 strict seated dumbbell shoulder presses: Performed from a seated position on a flat bench with no back support. Men will use a pair of 50 lb dumbbells and women will use a pair of 20 lb dumbbells. Dumbbells will start on the shoulders and continue in a simultaneous action until arms are fully extended and locked out in the up position in line with the ears. Dumbbells must touch the shoulders in the down position. Upper body must remain vertical while pressing and feet must remain on the floor.
- 30 Bulgarian split squats: The athlete must perform 15 reps per leg, for a total of 30 reps for both legs, in any order that they choose. The hip crease of the front leg must go below parallel as it would with a traditional squat. The athlete’s leg must fully extend and lock out in the up position. The knee must touch the floor in the down position. A bench must be used for the back foot support. No boxes, chair or odd objects can be used for the back foot support. A thin yoga mat may be used for the knee that will touch the floor. The video must show the athlete’s entire body and the full range of the exercise throughout. Camera angle must be from the side, at a 90-degree angle from the athlete.*
- 40 sit-ups: Must be performed with the feet secured under a dumbbell or other heavy stationery object, back flat and arms crossed over the chest. Hands must be touching the shoulders at all times. Shoulder blades must touch the ground at the bottom of each sit-up, and both elbows must touch the legs within 6 inches of the kneecaps at the top of each sit-up. Butt cannot come off the ground at any point during the sit-up. Athletes must demonstrate the full range of motion on each sit-up. The video must show the athlete’s entire body and the full range of the exercise throughout.*
- Approved workouts will be ranked based upon total number of reps completed
- Athletes are responsible for self-timing their workout, either with an app (i.e. WOD Tracker, SmartWOD Timer, WETime) or by having a gym clock or iPad with a timer clearly in view throughout the workout. Links to timing apps can be found on our website.
*If you are unsure of your camera angle, you are welcome to submit a short sample video via the Donor Games app up to one week before the competition opens. Judges will review your video and either approve your camera angle or provide guidance on how to correct it.
Registered athletes agree to and will comply with the following rules related to the Donor Games Open competition format.
- All athletes must be 18 years or older as of the close of registration for the competition.
- All athletes must agree to the Donor Games Consent Agreement and adhere to the Workout Rules and Competition Rules herein.
- Athletes must submit their full workout video at any time during the competition window: from April 2 through April 8, 2024 at 11:59 EST.
- Athletes may submit more than one workout video to improve their standings on the leaderboard.
- Competitors may submit no more than ONE (1) video within any 24-hour period.
- Should an additional workout video be disqualified; it does not impact the rank/eligibility of a previously approved workout video.
- Athletes must be willing to accept prize winnings via ACH. Failure to provide ACH payment information within 1 week of the official prize-winning notification will result in forfeiture of the cash prize. All prize winnings will be dispersed within 2 weeks of the official prize-winning notification from the Donor Games.
- Failure to perform a movement or exercise according to the guidelines will result in disqualification. Judges’ decisions are final as they relate to official time, weight, reps, etc.
- If a workout video is rejected, the competitor is allowed to submit a new competition workout video at any time during the competition window.
- Should the workout be disqualified on the last day of competition, athletes may be given an extension beyond the competition deadline at the discretion of the judges.
- If no new video is submitted before the extended deadline, the competitor is disqualified.
|Category||1st Place||2nd Place||3rd Place||4th Place||5th Place|